The small Balkan country of Montenegro lies nestled between Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Kosovo and Albania. Its name translates as ‘black mountain’. To the west, there are beautiful beaches and the Adriatic Sea, with charming fishing villages dotted along the rugged coastline. Further inland, the wide plains and high mountains provide spectacular scenery, and plenty of outdoor recreational opportunities. The famous fortified town of Kotor is situated in a bay with the dramatic limestone cliffs of Mt Lovden providing shelter.
Montenegro is an up and coming popular holiday destination that has something to offer everyone. Nature lovers can enjoy the exploration of the magnificent and mountainous Durmitor National Park, which is part of the Dinaric Alps. Its highest peak, Bobotov Kuk looms 2.523m from ground level. Endemic wildlife is abundant in the lush rolling hills. It’s not uncommon to come across a bear, deer, wild boars, wildcats or wolves in the remotest regions of the country. Montenegro is also home to a variety of bird, reptile and fish species. The diverse climate benefits the indigenous flora and promotes the country’s wild beauty.
The history and heritage of Montenegro is evident in its many medieval walled towns. Visit the UNESCO World Heritage site of Kotor and admire the well-preserve architecture that is set in a stunning sweeping landscape. Enjoy a day trip to the ancient town of Perast, on the tiny island of Sveti Dorde, and visit its quaint centuries-old church. Montenegro also boasts picturesque seaside resorts where the pace of life is tranquil and laidback. Explore the town of Ulcinj and learn about its rich pirate history. Escape to the beautiful Budva Riviera and enjoy the sandy beaches and nightlife of the enchanting historic district. The secluded beaches offer an idyllic haven away from the vibrant Old Town centre.
Visit scenic Kotor
The atmospheric town of Kotor is a UNESCO World Heritage site that offers an abundance of spectacular scenery. The charming medieval Old Kotor boasts a maze of museums, Romanesque churches, elegant café lined squares, and Venetian palaces that are worth exploring. Stroll along the ancient cobblestone streets and admire the stunning architecture of the fortified town’s buildings. After dark, the limestone cliffs of Mt Lovden are spectacularly lit up by streetlights that illuminate the cluster of houses, and the vibrant nightlight atmosphere.
Explore stunning coastal resorts
The beautiful Montenegro coastline is dotted with many charming seaside resorts that flaunt an inviting Mediterranean ambience. Take a tour of the medieval pirate town of Ulcinj, visit historic Bar, admire the tourist metropolis of Budva and wander through the town of Tivat, which is well-known for its outstanding beauty. Enjoy delicious regional cuisine in friendly family-run restaurants, and shop for interesting souvenirs to take back home. Seek out a tranquil spot on the coast, and enjoy a spectacular sunset vista.
- Boutique Hotel Forza Mare is a five-star jewel located in the small town of Dobrota, just 3km from Kotor. This intimate hotel offers ten uniquely decorated suites with a balcony, a private beach, swimming pool and a luxury Spa & Wellness center.
- Situated directly at the popular Becici beach, the four-star Queen of Montenegro offers wonderful sea views and plenty of entertainment for all ages. Located just 4km from the old centre of Budva.
- Situated on a long sandy beach just 2km from Budva’s Old Town, the Splendid hotel offers five-star luxury including beautiful rooms, a supreme spa and wellness centre and a modern casino.
- Boutique Hotel Hippocampus is a chic and stylish hotel located in the heart of Kotor’s walled old town. This intimate hotel offers a beautiful roof terrace, an outdoor courtyard and nine charming rooms and suites decorated with antiques, modern artwork and bespoke furniture.
- Four-star hotel Vardar is perfectly situated at the main square in the heart of the Old Town of Kotor. The renovated historical building offers comfortable, well equipped rooms in a classic yet modern style.
- The Boutique Hotel Astoria is a stylish and superb small 4 star in the heart of Kotor. Featuring 9 exquisitely decorated rooms, some featuring balconies and within walking distance of a selection of restaurants and bars.
- Four-star hotel Monte Cristo is perfectly situated on a charming little square in the heart of Kotor. The characteristic building from the 13th century offers eight rooms in a traditional, classic design with an intimate atmosphere and lots of personal service.
Copyright © 2019 Unforgettable Croatia. All rights reserved