Our Guide to Split and Vis
Split’s most striking feature is the stunning UNESCO listed Diocletian’s Palace, a Roman monument that stands at the centre of the city and is now filled with bars, restaurants and shops. The Palace was an inspiration for Robert Adam’s new style of neoclassical architecture – a simplification of rococo and baroque style – it has a good selection of bars on the ground floor and upper levels as well as a maze of underground temples and tunnels beneath it that add a layer of mystery to any visit there.
The city balances tradition and modernity with a fabulous zeal – there is an excellent collection of modern bars and restaurants along the Riva, incredible pieces of architecture including the towering Split Cathedral, the colourful Croatian National Theatre and of course the gorgeous harbour where one can stare out to the deep blues of the sea or even lay back on a private yacht soaking up the atmosphere.
Vis is a somewhat isolated island, but its isolation has served to preserve the island’s authenticity. Travellers flock to Vis to experience serenity on the rugged coastline, gourmet cuisine that holds strongly to Croatia’s traditional roots, and beautiful, almost entirely untouched and unspoiled nature. For wine connoisseurs there is no better island in Croatia, especially for those who favour Vugava – one of Croatia’s most loved whites – which is almost entirely cultivated on Vis. Seafood is resplendent on every corner though we prefer the chic restaurants of Vis Town to the rustic eateries of Komiza – though it’s in Komiza’s stoney backstreets and small but vibrant harbour where you’ll find many of the fishermen that ensure fresh produce each day.
- Return flights from London – Regional departures available
- Bed and breakfast accommodation in 4 star hotels in Split and Vis
- Private return airport transfers
- Return boat transfers to Vis
- Your holiday is ATOL protected for your peace of mind
- Access to our concierge service
Why book with Unforgettable Croatia
- We are specialists in luxury travel to Croatia with the largest coverage of 4 and 5 star hotels, resorts and cruises
- Unrivalled customer service and extensive knowledge of the region, help us to craft unique and tailor made tours and Croatia twin centre holidays
- Your holiday in Croatia is covered by our TTA/ATOL cover providing you 100% financial protection and peace of mind for your trip
- Our concierge team provide not only 24/7 support throughout the booking process and the trip, but also some little touches to show we care from the minute you get in touch to your return to work with the holiday blues