Our Guide to Zagreb, Opatija and Rovinj
The small metropolis of Zagreb was made, it seems, for exploring the streets – discovering artsy back alleys where chic bars mingle with traditional bakeries and artists studios, drinking coffee in cool cafes, learning the local history in museums and tuning into the local pulse through the city’s galleries, theatres and concerts. As well as the obvious museums, the striking neo-gothic cathedral and other sites, the city has so very much to offer – amongst them are thriving live music venues, the city zoo, a 17th century convent and of course the iconic blue trams that veer from street to street.
On a culinary note, we simply must recommend the delicious Strukli – a relation of Austrian Strudel and Turkish Borek – made from rolled dough, cottage cheese and sour cream and filled with everything from spinach to salt and sugar – you should sample it at least once while in Zagreb or even make a day out of wandering the various sellers in the city. Nightlife is of course wonderful – to sample it at it’s most local head to the old street of Tkalciceva – which is Zagreb’s rowdy bar crawl locale – home to everything from pubs to stylish underground clubs and grappa bars. There are a variety of markets throughout the city too which are a great way to indulge in a little local colour – though one of our favourite is Britanski trg which during the week is a fruit and vegetable market before converting at the weekend to a bric-a-brac market which counts everything from jewellery and silverware to paintings and antique jewellery amongst its wares.
Opatija is the matriarch of Croatian tourism – famed for enticing celebrities from all over Europe during the belle époque, an era, incidentally that lives on in Opatija’s beautiful architecture and wonderfully well-manicured parks and gardens. The town’s famous shoreline promenade may often be at full capacity but it’s the best stroll in town along with the main street, which is resplendent with examples of fin-de-siècle architecture. You’ll note that luxurious seafood restaurants are de rigueur both along the stunning seafront and in the fishing village of Volosko close by, and for the more active travellers – you can choose to spend your time sailing, walking Mount Ucka or swimming in the warm embrace of the Kvarner gulf that straddles the shoreline of the town.
Characterful Rovinj has attracted the attention of celebrities, artists and aesthetes since the 1950’s – due to its elegant piazzas, antique old town and the enchanting harbour which is filled with small boats and yachts and backed by a curved Italian-like promenade that is full of vibrantly coloured houses. At the centre of the town is the Saint Euphemia Cathedral, whose spire pokes through the cluster of houses towards the blues of the sky – creating a visage that is not too dissimilar to that of Venice’s St. Mark’s when viewed from the water. Rovinj is perfect for a luxury Croatia holiday, as it’s filled with upmarket restaurants, elegant shopping destinations and the most enduringly charismatic of old world Croatian atmospheres. The old town is our favourite place to dine – though its streets offer much more than wonderful restaurants – they are filled with artists studios, chic cafes and shops – all of which, when combined with the cobbled pathways and antique charm of the town – are an absolute pleasure to explore.
- Return flights from London – Regional departures available
- Bed and breakfast accommodation in 4 or 5 star hotels in Zagreb, Opatija and Rovinj
- Car hire or transfers between destinations
- Your holiday is ATOL protected for your peace of mind
- Access to our concierge service
Why book with Unforgettable Croatia
- We are specialists in luxury travel to Croatia with the largest coverage of 4 and 5 star hotels, resorts and cruises
- Unrivalled customer service and extensive knowledge of the region, help us to craft unique and tailor made tours and Croatia multi centre holidays
- Your holiday in Croatia is covered by our ATOL cover providing you 100% financial protection and peace of mind for your trip
- Our concierge team provide not only 24/7 support throughout the booking process and the trip, but also some little touches to show we care from the minute you get in touch to your return to work with the holiday blues